In 1806 a person named WILLIAM COLGATE started a business of soap, candle and starch. Later on he started selling candles by setting up a factory on DUTCH STREET in NEWYORK. The company was named asâ€ WILLIAM COLGATE & COMPANYâ€. In1817 first Colgate advertisement appears in a New York newspaper. In1820 Colgate establishes a starch factory in Jersey City, New Jersey.In1857 Upon the death of founder William Colgate, and the company is reorganized as Colgate & Company under the management of his son â€œSamuel Colgateâ€.
In1864 B.J. Johnson opens a soap factory in Milwaukee, WI, which later becomes the Palmolive Company. In1866 Colgate introduces perfumed soap and essences. In1872 PeetBrothers establish Soap Company in Kansas City, Kansas where they make Crystal White soap. â€œCashmere Bouquetâ€ the first milled perfumed toilet soap is registered as a Colgate trademark. In1879 Gerhard Mennen establishes a pharmacy in Newark, NJ, later becoming the â€œMennen Companyâ€. In1896 Colgate introduces toothpaste in a collapsible tube. In1898 B.J. Johnson Soap Co. introduces Palmolive Soap. Today, the Palmolive equity is sold in over 88 countries.
In1900 Colgate won honors for its fine soaps and perfumes at the World’s Fair in Paris. In1902 Palmolive started advertising about their product benefits and ingredient purity. In1906 Colgate celebrated its 100th anniversary. Production of more than 800 different products was their product line. In1908 Colgate is incorporated by the five sons of Samuel Colgate.
In1911 Colgate distributed two million tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes to schools, and provides hygienists to demonstrate tooth brush. In1914 Colgate established its first international subsidiary in Canada. In1920s Colgate started establishing operations in Europe, Asia, Latin America and Africa. In1926 Soap manufacturers Palmolive and Peet merge to become Palmolive-Peet Company. In1928 Colgate merges with Palmolive-Peet to become Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company. In1930 on March 13, Colgate is first listed on the New York Stock Exchange. In1939 Dr. Mark L. Morris develops a pet food to help save a guide dog named Buddy from kidney disease. This breakthrough leads to the first Hill’s Prescription Diet product. In1947 Ajax cleanser is launched, establishing powerful now-global brand equity for cleaning products. In1953
Colgate-Palmolive Company becomes company’s official name. In1956
Colgate opens corporate headquarters at 300 Park Avenue in New York City. In1962 Colgate opens research center in Piscataway, NJ. Fabric conditioner is launched in France as Soup line. Today, fabric conditioners are sold in over 54 countries around the world. In1966 Palmolive dishwashing liquid is introduced and today it is sold in over 35 countries. In1968 Colgate toothpaste adds MFP Fluoride, clinically proven to reduce cavities. In1972 Colgate acquires Hoyt Laboratories, which later becomes Colgate Oral Pharmaceuticals. In1975
Caprice hair care launched in Mexico. Today, hair care products are sold in over 70 countries, to suit every type of hair in need.
In1976 Colgate-Palmolive acquires Hill’s Pet Nutrition. Today Hill’s is the global leader in pet nutrition and veterinary recommendations. Today over 1.6 billion Colgate toothbrushes are sold annually worldwide. If you lined them up end to end, they would circle the globe 16 times. In1985 Protex bar soap is introduced, and today offers all-family antibacterial protection in over 56 countries. Colgate-Palmolive enters into a joint venture with Hong Kong-based Hawley & Hazel, a leading oral care company, which adds strength in key Asian markets. In1986 the Chairman’s You Can Make a Difference Program is launched, recognizing innovation and executional excellence by Colgate people. In1987 Colgate acquires Soft-soap liquid soap business from the Minnetonka Corporation. Today, Colgate is the global leader in liquid hand soap. In1989 Annual Company sales surpass the $5 billion mark.In1991 Colgate acquires Murphy Oil Soap, the leading wood cleaner in the U.S. Today, its product portfolio has expanded to include all-purpose cleaners, sprays and wipes. In1992 Colgate acquired the Mennen Company. Today, Mennen products are sold in over 52 countries. In1995 Colgate enters Central Europe and Russia, expanding into fast-growing markets. Colgate acquires Kolynos Oral Care business in Latin America and launches market-leading Sorriso toothpaste. In1996 Bright Smiles, Bright Futures oral health education program expands to 50 countries, and today reaches over 50 million children annually. In1997 Colgate Total toothpaste is introduced in the U.S. and quickly becomes the market leader. Only Colgate Total, with its 12-hour protection, fights a complete range of oral health problems. In2004 Colgate acquires the GABA oral care business in Europe, with its strength in the important European pharmacy channel and its ties with the dental community. Today, with sales surpassing $15 billion, Colgate focuses on four core businesses: â€œOral Care, Personal Care, Home Care and Pet Nutritionâ€. Colgate now sells its products in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Educational and community involvement
In 1890, MADISON UNIVERSITY in New York was named as COLGATE UNIVERSITY in the honor of Colgate family because of their involvement and active financial support to the university.
Colgate women games
Colgate family respect the female sex of the society and for the betterment of their status in the society sports meet is organised by the group for the last 34 years. This event is known as â€œColgate women gamesâ€ and is open for all ages of women. The Colgate Women’s Games is the nation’s largest amateur track series open to all girls from community schools to universities. It held at â€œBrooklyn’s Pratt Instituteâ€. The competitors have to participate in preliminary meets and semi-finals over five weekends throughout January. Finalists compete for trophies and educational grants-in-aid from Colgate-Palmolive Company at New York City’s â€œMadison Square Gardenâ€ in February. The goal is to provide an athletic competition that helps the participating young girls and women to develop a strong sense of self esteem, self dependency. It gives importance of both education and sports for the girls who are unable to take part in organised sports meet.
Bright smile, bright futures
Motto: Providing oral health education to children worldwide
Colgate’s Bright Smiles, Bright Futures program promotes oral health education and prevention to poor children across the world. Partnerships with governments, schools and communities enable them to distribute videos, storybooks, software and interactive activities to millions each year & expected to reach 100 million children by 2010.
Haz La U (make the u)
In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month and the achievements of Hispanics nationwide, Colgate-Palmolive Company and Hispanic Heritage Foundation awarded 16 educational grants to Hispanic students nationwide, including one $10,000 grant.
Caring Makes a Difference
Colgate-Palmolive with its partners is dedicated towards increasing the awareness about the importance of getting regular mammograms. Their want to join the fight against breast cancer with a donation of their time, money & encourage society to fight from it.
Healthy Bedtime Habits for a Lifetime
To make lifelong readers in the society.
Colgate P.O.W.E.R. (Preparing Our World through Education and Responsibility) is a youth employment program that provides young adults with summer jobs to help build self-esteem, cultivate a work with ethical and foster community pride.
Starlight Show the Love
Supporting poor and ill children and their families with certain aids.
Give Kids a Smile
Colgate-Palmolive is having a partnership with American Dental Association to provide education along with preventatives and restorative care to low-income children who do not have funds to dental care.
Animal welfare programs
Colgate-Palmolive jointly started a program to save wild life and betterment of pet life with healthy environment. Products
Respect towards Environment
Colgate-Palmolive will provide the public with safe and effective products and will strive to produce products that have the lowest practical impact on the environment.
To reduce the impact of our product packaging on the environment, we will work to improve the environmental compatibility of all our packaging materials. Colgate endorses the worldwide hierarchy of solid waste management: source reduction; recycling (including reuse); incineration; and land filling.
Colgate-Palmolive is committed to the health and safety of our employees and the communities in which we operate, as well as the protection of the environment. We will establish and maintain programs for the operation and design of our facilities that meet or exceed applicable environmental, health and safety laws and regulations.
Colgate-Palmolive will consider environmental, health and safety issues in all significant business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, discontinuance of operations, and entry into joint ventures. We will also act in a responsible manner with respect to the environmental protection of the lands under our management and ownership.
Respect for future
“Ensure Colgate’s business grows consistently and responsibly and benefits those we serve, including employees, our shareholders and other stakeholders globally while promoting the well-being of future generations.”
The focus will remain on People, Planet and Performance. The plan is not only to continue with the initiatives addressed within this website but also to continue looking for opportunities to improve in each of our areas of focus:
- Develop the full potential of all Colgate people
- Understand and respond to Colgate’s priority stakeholders
- Grow consistently and responsibly
- Provide environmentally & socially responsible products
- Protect the environment
At Colgate, we know that our future performance is more important than our past accomplishments. With their commitment to Caring, Global Teamwork and Continuous Improvement, I know that they will go far toward achieving their goal of being the best truly global consumer products company.
Key performance indicators (KPI)
Are measurements that reflect the critical success factors of Colgate. Colgate has clearly defined its goals that are reflected in these key performance indicators.
- Colgate-Palmolive is a supporter of a bill that would permanently establish a federal committee to review and recommend alternatives to animal testing for research on consumer products. Sources: Pesticide and Toxic Chemical News, August 12, 1999.
- Colgate-Palmolive ranked 16th on Fortune magazine’s list of the “50 Best Companies for Minorities” in 2004. The company was cited for electing its first Latin-American to the Board of Directors and increased minority hires by 4 percent. Colgate-Palmolive also ranked 16th on the magazine’s 2003 listing. Source: Fortune
- Colgate sponsors the annual Colgate Women’s Games, the largest track and field event for women in the U.S. Source: Colgate
- Colgate-Palmolive’s non-discrimination policy includes sexual orientation. Source: Human Rights Campaign
- Colgate-Palmolive has been named one of the “50 Best Companies for Latin to Work for in the U.S.” by Latina Style in 2004. The company is an aggressive employer of diverse talent at all levels, maintaining relationships with organizations such as the National Society of Hispanic MBAs and the Hispanic Alliance for Career Enhancement. For Latino employees, Citigroup’s own Latin-American Employee Network was formally launched in June 2003. Source: Latina Style
- Colgate-Palmolive was named one of the “100 Best Companies for Working Mothers” in 2004 by Working Mother magazine. Source: Working Mother
- Colgate-Palmolive is a supporter of the Global Sullivan Principles (GSP). The objectives of the GSP are to encourage companies to support economic, social and political justice where they do business and to support human rights. The Principles promote equal opportunity at all levels of employment, including racial and gender diversity on decision making committees and boards, as well as the training and advancement of disadvantaged workers for technical, supervisory, and management opportunities. Under the GSP, companies should encourage greater tolerance and understanding among peoples, thereby helping to improve the quality of life for communities, workers and children. Source: Global Sullivan Principles
- In 2002 Business Week named Colgate as having one of the best corporate boards. Also its compensation committee awarded premium-priced options to the CEO to pay off only if stock appreciates by 10% to 70% and a section on governance has been added to the company’s latest proxy. Source: Business Week, Oct. 7, 2002.
As being such an ethical company there are some demerits of a successful business. There are some unethical issues regarding every company. It’s very difficult for me to find some unethical issues.
Unfair trade practices
An open fight between Lever and Colgate.
The advertisements of both the companies are questionable at certain points. And the clues are given in every other advertisement regarding other one. They also inform the public inadvertently that you just cannot trust companies on the basis of their claims or their popularity. Did they offer any apology to the Public for having fooled them?
No the matter was closed and sealed. No such fine occurs on them.
The Supreme Court stated that â€œthe object is to bring honesty and truth in the relationship between the manufacturer and the consumer”
- “If the general impression conveyed is false, the most punctilious and scrupulous accuracy in immaterial minutiae will not render the representations true.â€That is, attempting to prove it otherwise, would only mean that ‘the Devil is quoting the Scriptures’.
- Colgate claimed that Hindustan Lever promoted its New Pepsodent Tooth paste in 1997 with the claim that it has “102%” anti-bacterial activity compared to any other ordinary tooth paste
- The case number is Unfair Trade Practices Enquiry No 405 /97.
- Hindustan lever limited has argued by claiming that â€œtwo and half time more effective protection against germs, Colgate is de facto making a claim of 250% per cent better protection and anti-bacterial superiority.
- Later on Hindustan limited has claimed that â€œthe level of Xylitol in CDC -DP [Colgate Dental Cream – Double Protection] is merely 3% percent, which it argues is lower than 10 percent level required for efficacy.”
- Both are finding guilty. But no such punishment was given to them.